• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1422 posts
  • Interests:Programming: C/C++, Fortran, LISP, COBOL 85 Standard, PHP, x86 and SH3 Assembly

Computer graphics

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G / fx-7400G Plus / Algebra FX 2.0+ / fx-9770G / CFX-9850G / CFX-9850GB+ / TI-89 / TI-nSpire

Posted 14 December 2006 - 02:47 PM

I'm a bit worried about TI's new graphing calculator :( : TI-Nspire CAS. Look at some of it's features:

* has CAS
* 320x240 pixel resolution with multiple shades of gray (that is really high resolution!)
* processor is 6 times faster than TI-89 Titanium
* 16MB of computing memory and 20MB of storage memory (Yeah, that's right MegaBytes, not KiloBytes!)
* Available in Q2 2007

http://education.ti....nspire_cas.html

I believe the only hope that CASIO has against this type of competition, is that hopefully the TI-Nspire CAS is really expensive which may turn down some buyers or CASIO's fx-9860SD can compete against the TI-Nspire CAS. If the release of the fx-9860 SDK comes before TI-Nspire, that may hopefully attract a bit more people to the fx-9860.

#2 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts
  • Interests:Programming: C/C++, Fortran, LISP, COBOL 85 Standard, PHP, x86 and SH3 Assembly

Computer graphics

• Calculators:
    fx-9860G / fx-7400G Plus / Algebra FX 2.0+ / fx-9770G / CFX-9850G / CFX-9850GB+ / TI-89 / TI-nSpire

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:49 AM

The TI-Nspire CAS+ uses a high end embedded operating system called Nucleus RTOS which incorporates many features. Here in America, the calculator is acceptable for the AP Calculus Exam. However, looking at the calculator, it looks kind of bulky and doesn't even seem to look like a calculator. :lol:

#3 vanhoa

vanhoa

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Calculators:
    AFX 2.0, CP 300, CP 330, nSpire, TI 89, FX 5800

Posted 15 December 2006 - 01:37 AM

My opinion:
-CAS: normal, not really upgrade from ti-89 titanium.
-Keyboard: the letters keys are small and seems to be difficult to operate.
-Bugs: still many.
-Spreed sheet:uhm, i think its SS is good!
-Geometry graph: not really improved.
-GRAY SCALE: A GREAT THING THAT CASIO...!
-Operate history: long.
-Its SDK: not soon release.
-Page layout: just as our e-act.

#4 TyYann

TyYann

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 107 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-4000P (since 1988)
    Casio CFX-9850GB PLUS
    Sharp EL-9900
    Casio fx-9860G SD
    Casio fx-9860GII SD
    Casio Graph 90+E
    TI-83 Premium CE (no Python)
    and a 25-column abacus...

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

How much will the TI-Nspire CAS+ math and science learning handheld or TI-Nspire CAS computer software cost?
Dealers are likely to price the TI-Nspire CAS+ handheld (or single-user computer software) similar to the TI-89 Titanium. Please contact dealers for exact pricing information.

Will the TI-89 Titanium be phased out?
Texas Instruments does not have any plans at this time to phase out TI-89 Titanium.

:huh: How can titanium survive ?
Source : http://education.ti...._cas.html?bid=6

Competition is high. Good for us, Casio has to react.

#5 DrCoyote

DrCoyote

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX-9850GB PLUS, FX-9860G, TI 92+, TI89 Titanium, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CAS, TI 84+ SE, HP 50G, HP 35S, Elektronika MK-90, Elektronika MK-52, Elektronika MK-61, Elektronika B3-21, Elektronika MK-152, Elektronika MK-161, Sharp EL-9900

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:46 PM

Interesting critisisms of the Ti-Nspire hardware:

-Keyboard: the letters keys are small and seems to be difficult to operate.

And the ClassPad's touchscreen keyboard is easy?

-Bugs: still many.

Well, at this time, that is meaningless. The product is not released yet, and won't be for some months. As long as the ClassPad has been out, it still has significant bugs.

-CAS: normal, not really upgrade from ti-89 titanium.
-Geometry graph: not really improved.

Again, it's not a final product yet. However, just the ability to see several views of the same problem could be very helpful, especially for the student.

In general, I'm looking forward to the release of the Ti-Nspire. It is a very interesting device, with several real improvements over present graphing calculators of all brands.

By the way... I really don't feel the Ti-Nspire is competition for the AFX / CFX / FX. I think it is more of a threat to the ClassPad. Perhaps, I hope, it will prompt Casio to really improve the ClassPad and bring it significantly closer to what it really should have been in the first place.

#6 vanhoa

vanhoa

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 15 December 2006 - 11:41 PM

I dont know how the final product is but for now it's not good (one of my friens have the test version and he talked me it still have many bugs) but i believe in the future ti will improve it with os...

#7 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:22 AM

By the way... I really don't feel the Ti-Nspire is competition for the AFX / CFX / FX. I think it is more of a threat to the ClassPad. Perhaps, I hope, it will prompt Casio to really improve the ClassPad and bring it significantly closer to what it really should have been in the first place.

Well what about the fx-9860? The SuperH processor in the fx-9860 uses superscalar processing providing fast execution speeds. So, the fx-9860 might be actually faster than the TI-Nspire CAS. Also, the fx-9860SD can retain more memory for storage through an SD card than a TI-Nspire CAS.

That reminds me, does anyone have an fx-9860SD they are willing to bargain with me? If I could get one, then maybe I could use my fx-9860g for hardware experimentation and find out more on the fx-9860.

#8 The_AFX_Master

The_AFX_Master

Casio Overlord

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts
  • Interests:BASIC +FORTRAN 90+ C++.....and HALF LIFE

• Calculators:
    Casio Algebra FX 2.0 Plus, Casio fx 570 ms, Classpad 300, And a crowbar

Posted 16 December 2006 - 02:27 AM

And the ClassPad's touchscreen keyboard is easy?

I think, for normal operation (not for putting Wikipedia on eActivities), it works well. In O.S 2.2 /3.0 the touchpad controller was improved a lot. Sincerely, see the Nspire's "sparse" keyboard, you'll take seconds to guess where is the key, because the keys are spread, small, and the keyboard is so dense.

And navigating such extensive menus only with a keypad is annoying, i'll prefer a stylus for direct operation.

On input/interface i give 3/10 to this calc. For sure, the big deal of the Nspire is the larger RAM and the better processor (could have? :huh: ). to knock out calculations. is the first release of a calc with RAM in "mb's" ..

#9 huhn_m

huhn_m

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1957 posts
  • Interests:Assembler(!!!)
    Computers and Programming
    Operating Systems
    Programmable Calculators
    Maths and everything arround it

• Calculators:
    FX-82SX / AFX 2.0+ (ROM 1.03) / FX 1.0+ (ROM 1.03)

Posted 16 December 2006 - 04:26 PM

hm ... the FX9860 can use 2GB in SD cards. So it might be the first with flash in "GB's" :P

#10 DrCoyote

DrCoyote

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

• Calculators:
    CFX-9850GB PLUS, FX-9860G, TI 92+, TI89 Titanium, TI-Nspire, TI-Nspire CAS, TI 84+ SE, HP 50G, HP 35S, Elektronika MK-90, Elektronika MK-52, Elektronika MK-61, Elektronika B3-21, Elektronika MK-152, Elektronika MK-161, Sharp EL-9900

Posted 17 December 2006 - 03:26 AM

hm ... the FX9860 can use 2GB in SD cards. So it might be the first with flash in "GB's"

Not the first, no. HPs can use SD cards, and have been able to for some time.

#11 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 17 December 2006 - 05:02 AM

Not the first, no. HPs can use SD cards, and have been able to for some time.

True, but CASIO invented the graphing calculator. :lol:

Anyways, has anyone considered bargaining a fx-9860SD with me?

#12 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 05 January 2007 - 05:51 AM

The TI-NSpire CAS+ will come in three variants:

1. TI-NSpire CAS+ (With CAS)
2. TI-NSpire (Without CAS)
3. TI-NSpire CAS+ for the PC - The CAS software that runs on the PC.

#13 DarkDead

DarkDead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-7400G | Casio fx-9860G SD

Posted 08 January 2007 - 12:51 AM

1. TI-NSpire CAS+ (With CAS)
2. TI-NSpire (Without CAS)

With this they reach (for example) two sectors of the Portuguese market. One is the high school where CAS can't be used in exams and the other is the university where CAS is needed. As these two versions only have a little difference imagine high school students incorporating CAS as a good helper in the exam.
Even if this would be possible unless the version without CAS has a similar price to fx-9860 the most part of the buyers won't choose it. Mainly because they don't know what is CAS and don't bother about that.

#14 vanhoa

vanhoa

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 11 March 2007 - 04:34 PM

TI has created a new website unveiling more details about the upcoming TI-Nspire graphing calculator. It comes in two versions, CAS and non-CAS. The non-CAS version apparently can have TI-84 Plus emulation. The highlights of the TI-Nspire are its interactive abilities (moving graphs, linking tables and graphs together, etc.).

(from ticalc.org)

#15 Guest_Guest_Lance_*_*

Guest_Guest_Lance_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2007 - 09:05 PM

I'm a bit worried about TI's new graphing calculator :( : TI-Nspire CAS. Look at some of it's features:

* has CAS
* 320x240 pixel resolution with multiple shades of gray (that is really high resolution!)
* processor is 6 times faster than TI-89 Titanium
* 16MB of computing memory and 20MB of storage memory (Yeah, that's right MegaBytes, not KiloBytes!)
* Available in Q2 2007

http://education.ti....nspire_cas.html

I believe the only hope that CASIO has against this type of competition, is that hopefully the TI-Nspire CAS is really expensive which may turn down some buyers or CASIO's fx-9860SD can compete against the TI-Nspire CAS. If the release of the fx-9860 SDK comes before TI-Nspire, that may hopefully attract a bit more people to the fx-9860.

Hmm. As I understand it, the TI NSpire is not a calculator but a math learning machine. The one with a CAS isn't really programmable (apparently you can enter functions, but there is no programming language and no program editor), and it certainly doesn't seem to be intended as a means of solving particular problem in that a calculator is intended to function.

Lance

#16 vanhoa

vanhoa

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 12 March 2007 - 01:04 PM

It's programable, sorry:(

#17 Guest_Guest_Lance_*_*

Guest_Guest_Lance_*_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2007 - 08:40 PM

Well I don't know not ever having had one available to study - but see th comments on Ti-calc:

http://www.ticalc.org

Lance

#18 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 12 March 2007 - 11:35 PM

Yes, people have been complaining about the TI-nSpire, since it doesn't have drawing (pixels, lines, etc.) support in BASIC.

#19 The_AFX_Master

The_AFX_Master

Casio Overlord

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:16 AM

Well, TIBasic sucks.. The GCC library that the TI guys are setting up is the last option to consider a TI as a serious programmable calculator

#20 vanhoa

vanhoa

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 13 March 2007 - 03:56 AM

Yes, as you can see, people prefer SDK, not BASIC

#21 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 22 August 2007 - 07:39 PM

Someone emailed TI about the programming capabilities of the TI-Nspire:

Thank you for contacting Texas Instruments.

I regret to inform you that the TI-Nspire family handhelds do not
support programming at this time. I apologize for any inconvenience this may
cause. You can find more information on the TI-Nspire family products
at the below URL:

http://www.ti-nspire...pire/index.html

You can visit our Technology Discussion Groups to communicate with
other people who share similar interests. You can also post questions, find
answers, and share your knowledge. Please see the following website.

http://www-s.ti.com/...pen=calculators

I hope that you find this information helpful. If you have further
questions or comments, please feel free to send me an email.

Warmest Regards,

Tiffany Cunningham

No programming capabilities... :roflol:

#22 The_AFX_Master

The_AFX_Master

Casio Overlord

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 22 August 2007 - 09:55 PM

so.. The new TI is a huge, expensive, and heavy.....piece of crap <_<

#23 vanhoa

vanhoa

Casio Overlord

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 854 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 23 August 2007 - 10:33 AM

Dont worry... Ti will upgrade their OS soon :(

#24 DrCoyote

DrCoyote

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:10 PM

The TI-Nspire CAS does not support user programming. However, after reading the manual, I am still interested, as a lot of my programming needs for my everyday work can be covered by the calculator's other functions, such as user defined functions and spreadsheets (the latter benefitting from the roomy, high resolution grayscale display). And Vanhoa is right... It's probably only a matter of time before TI upgrades the OS to support programming.

There's also the non-CAS version, which supports a snap-in keyboard that fully emulates the TI 84 Plus. It's not of interest to me, but others might consider this handheld to cover their programming needs.

As for being expensive, they don't seem to be, really. The CAS version can be had for US$137, and the non-CAS for US$134. That seems pretty reasonable for what the calculators do.

Perhaps these machines will inspire and encourage Casio to come up with something that can compete with them, should they sell well. We'll have to see. I'm sure the initial batches will struggle with bugs and such, much as any complex calculator. (Remember the first few versions of the ClassPad's software, which continues to evolve today, as far as I can tell- Not to mention the display issues.) But I, myself, will be keeping an eye on this machine. Perhaps Casio will do the same.

#25 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 24 August 2007 - 11:14 PM

TI just forgot to give TI-nSpire programming capabilities during development since it's new. They are sorry and however plan to add programming capabilities later:

Since the TI-Nspire is such a new product, some of the features of previous calculators were left off, such as programming. As more development is done, Texas Instruments will continue to update the operating system and add more advanced programming to the TI-Nspire.

#26 tonyp

tonyp

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

• Calculators:
    TI89, TI89 Titanium, TI-nspire CAS, Casio ClassPad300, Casio fx-6300g, Casio GFX9850GB, Casio 82ES, more

Posted 14 September 2007 - 11:51 AM

Someone emailed TI about the programming capabilities of the TI-Nspire:
No programming capabilities... :roflol:

BASIC programming is supported, however, just like on the TI-89. Not sure if all statements are there. But, for computational / mathematical purposes, programming is available.

#27 DrCoyote

DrCoyote

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 14 September 2007 - 03:01 PM

I plan to purchase the CAS version of the TI-Nspire (not the one with the snap-in TI 84 keyboard). I realize that this is a Casio forum, but there is also interest here in new developments in the calculator world, no matter what the brand, so I'll ask this-

Is anyone interested in my impressions of this machine? If so, I'll post here, but if not, I'll just stick to the TI forums.

#28 tonyp

tonyp

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

• Calculators:
    TI89, TI89 Titanium, TI-nspire CAS, Casio ClassPad300, Casio fx-6300g, Casio GFX9850GB, Casio 82ES, more

Posted 14 September 2007 - 04:57 PM

I plan to purchase the CAS version of the TI-Nspire (not the one with the snap-in TI 84 keyboard). I realize that this is a Casio forum, but there is also interest here in new developments in the calculator world, no matter what the brand, so I'll ask this-

Is anyone interested in my impressions of this machine? If so, I'll post here, but if not, I'll just stick to the TI forums.

I'm interested to compare notes, but if you don't have it yet, what impressions? Based on specs alone?

Here are some of my early impressions (only had it for about a week). Rather than paying for OS v3, for the same money, I ended up having a new (and, sorry to say, possibly more exciting) calc.

The (off-beat looking) keyboard is actually very easy to use and (contrary to my pre-sale concerns) I have yet to press the wrong key (and without trying to be extra careful). The CAS is basically the same as that of the TI-89 Titanium, but there are also minor (?) differences. Many CTRL shortcuts are available (all the common ones are there, CTRL-S [Save], CTRL-C [Copy], CTRL-V [Paste], etc.)

A major difference from the TI89/T: No 3-D graphs.

Battery life is as good as that of the TI-89/T, because I read some false comment about the battery dying in only a few (about 3.5 was quoted) hours. Not so. Many hours/day of operation for about a week now, and the battery indication still says 100% full.

Firmware upgrade is fully automatic (directly from the Internet) using the Link software and a standard USB cable.

There are as many similarities with the TI-89/T as there are differences. The 'document' concept (different from Classpad's eActivity, yet similar in principle) is very helpful, in that you keep complete multi-page calculator sessions, separate.

eActivities are in a separate environment, while 'documents' are always there, everything you do is part of a document. No limit to how many pages you can have in a document, AFAIK.

Programming is inline (no separate program editor). Just define the program or function on the regular calculator entry screen, and the definition even takes a place in the history screen, just like all calculations. So, you can easily call it back, change it, and re-submit it (ENTER) to change the function or program.

Screen is great (like the TI-89's but higher resolution). 3 font sizes with mild differences among them.

Speed is great.

Graph is like the TI-89/T's, only with a better UI.

Geometry works along with Graph (on the same screen) and takes a little getting used to (you probably need to read the manual about how to use the pointer and grab stuff, it won't come naturally how to perform some of the actions). But, once you understand the philosophy is quite simple.

Possibly the most intuitive List/Statistics screen I've seen.

The manual needs some work. A lot of topics are not covered well, or at all (e.g., function is covered, program isn't, but it turns out to be same).

Variable recall is very simple (a single button will bring a pop-up list with all defined variables, functions, etc. sorted alphabetically to pick from). Too bad they didn't think to delete a variable right there by pressing DEL.

Another nice difference from the TI-89/T (and I believe Classpad, too) is that both opening and closing parentheses are automatically matched. So, you can 2+3)/2 ENTER, or sin(3 ENTER. It even shows the assumed parentheses in lighter greyed font.

I'll write more specific details if there is interest. Especially, as to how it compares to the Classpad if you need to keep it on-topic.

#29 The_AFX_Master

The_AFX_Master

Casio Overlord

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 14 September 2007 - 08:34 PM

Sounds nice, seems to be that TI implemented a CAS somewhat similar to Mathcad, you do an entire document and not half calculations (although we can do it as an eactivity)
For engineers i see it way powerful, for students... i have a doubts. How much does it cost??

#30 DrCoyote

DrCoyote

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 15 September 2007 - 01:33 AM

For engineers i see it way powerful, for students... i have a doubts. How much does it cost??

Actually, it is well suited to students' needs as well. One can link different representations of the same problem together, allowing several different ways of visualizing the problem, for instance. I don't know all the details of this yet. I'm just reading the manuals and watching flash demonstrations if the calculator.

As for the price, the CAS version can be had for about US$ 135.00 here. The Classpad 330 goes for about US$ 145.00.

#31 The_AFX_Master

The_AFX_Master

Casio Overlord

• [Legends]
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 519 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:00 AM

Well priced, i'll buy one of those things on may 08 when i plan to go to the US. TI Support/resellers on my country are crappier than ever.
The lack of a seriuos programming language (As our Lua implementation) is certainly a flaw, but is matter of time and a developer to get an equivalent on the TI

#32 tonyp

tonyp

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:12 AM

Sounds nice, seems to be that TI implemented a CAS somewhat similar to Mathcad, you do an entire document and not half calculations (although we can do it as an eactivity)

The main difference from an eActivity (as I see it) is that an eActivity is basically a list of links to various applications. You need to click on the link to open up the related window but while in the list you only see the shortcut to the application, not the screen itself.

The 'document' or 'problem', on the other hand, is a list of the actual (miniaturized) windows (or 'pages') of the various applications, at their current state. And, one also has the ability to combine up to 4 (same or different) applications in a single window (page), like having a smaller eActivity within an eActivity. All definitions in any of the pages are accessible by any application in a different page. But different 'documents' or 'problems' are isolated from each other. Very powerful!

(But, I still would like to have a way to define global variables, functions, etc. so they do not have to be replicated in new documents. Maybe it's possible, I don't know yet. The way I currently do this is to create a document with all my global definitions which I update as needed, and start a new document by saving-as from that document. But, that replicates the content, and it is a needless waste of valuable memory, especially as the size of the "global" definitions grows.)

#33 tonyp

tonyp

Casio Fan

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 34 posts

• Calculators:

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:26 AM

Actually, it is well suited to students' needs as well. One can link different representations of the same problem together, allowing several different ways of visualizing the problem, for instance. I don't know all the details of this yet. I'm just reading the manuals and watching flash demonstrations if the calculator.

As for the price, the CAS version can be had for about US$ 135.00 here. The Classpad 330 goes for about US$ 145.00.

You could also try the 30-day PC demo (if you have Win-based machine):
http://education.ti....contentpaneid=7

But the demo seems to lack some functionality of the actual unit, for example, the ability to recall a definition (for example, a program defitinion that has been erased from the history screen).

You can even set it to display exactly as it would on the actual device, to check out the true resolution instead of your PC's.

#34 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 15 January 2008 - 05:57 AM

I now own a TI Nspire. Unexpected isn't it? :blink:

I got it a couple of days ago. I'm impressed with this calculator. Contrary to what is said about the TI Nspire, the battery life is pretty good. It normally runs on 4AAA batteries, but I was surprised that the TI Nspire can still run with only two batteries! :D

Keyboard is a bit better than the TI-89 in my opinion. Don't need to press SHIFT, ALPHA to type in letters. The green letters keys are extruded a bit higher than the non-letter keys so you can actually feel which key you are pressing.

The LCD screen is sooo awesome and this calculator probably has the best user interface.

However, I've heard that most people say that the TI Nspire isn't geared towards engineering. I'll have to agree with them also. The CAS is okay, but the true power of the TI Nspire CAS and the TI Nspire (84+ emulation) comes from it's geometric capabilities. I guess that's what the TI Nspire is designed for. It's user friendly interface and geometric capabilities would be perfect for young kids in highschool taking a course Geometry. You can grab a point on a function and manipulate it. It has tons of features that could help students with writing and understanding geometric proofs (perp. bisector, angle bisector, midpoint, polygon, circle, parallel, etc.)

#35 E_net4

E_net4

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 189 posts
  • Location:Output(&quot;Error: Coord type not specified&quot;);
  • Interests:Programming 'n' stuff...

• Calculators:
    CASIO fx 9860G SD

Posted 19 January 2008 - 11:50 AM

My Maths' Teacher "trusts" Texas Instruments... and so she's got one too.
I just looked at the calc and say "What, the screen is SO HUGE!". Also, she was using the TI-84 keyboard, so I couldn't actually see the new one.

#36 Guest_uninspired_*

Guest_uninspired_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 April 2008 - 08:54 PM

I now own a TI Nspire. Unexpected isn't it? :blink:

I got it a couple of days ago. I'm impressed with this calculator. Contrary to what is said about the TI Nspire, the battery life is pretty good. It normally runs on 4AAA batteries, but I was surprised that the TI Nspire can still run with only two batteries! :D

Are you serious- yours really runs on 2 batteries???

#37 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 24 April 2008 - 05:13 PM

Yeah, it really does run on 2 batteries. I'm not lying. :) It will however say low battery on the screen, but it still works.

#38 Guest_Undecided_*

Guest_Undecided_*
  • Guests

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:45 PM

hello, I can't decide if I should stick with my TI-84 or buy the new TI-Nspire. You guys seem to know what you are talking about so I figured this is a good place to ask. I am a junior in highschool and plan on taking calculus next year. Would buying the TI-Nspire be a good investment? I haven't heard if its required or not. The TI-Nspire seems really cool and useful, but I think I might be ok with my current calculator. Is it worth buying the Nspire?

#39 kucalc

kucalc

Casio Maniac

• [Legends]
  • 1422 posts

Computer graphics

• Calculators:

Posted 13 June 2008 - 05:56 PM

Actually, buying a TI-89 or a ClassPad 300 would be a better investment if taking calculus. TI-nSpire seems more power driven toward geomtry and manipulation. Also the lack of polar graphing on the TI-nSpire is a big downer.

#40 Guest_Still Undecided_*

Guest_Still Undecided_*
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2008 - 01:57 PM

Actually, buying a TI-89 or a ClassPad 300 would be a better investment if taking calculus. TI-nSpire seems more power driven toward geomtry and manipulation. Also the lack of polar graphing on the TI-nSpire is a big downer.

So you're saying that once I advance to calculus, the TI-Nspire is not my best choice of calculator? What about college math classes like Calculus 2? If I buy a calculator, it will be the one that I take with me to college, so should I forget about the Nspire and get my parents to buy me a TI-89 or a ClassPad 300? Calculators are so expensive these days that I don't want to buy another one in the next few years. What is best for these upper level math courses?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users