Photo
- - - - -

Why Is Casio's Processor Speed A Secret?

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 tholmq

tholmq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Car Rallying<br />Greatrace<br />Calculators<br />Blackjack<br />Picture Framing<br />Horse Race Betting<br />Learning to program

Posted 18 April 2012 - 07:25 PM

I sent the following request to Casio Tech support:
I am trying to decide on which calculator to buy. Processor
speed is important to me. The calculators I am looking at are HP-50G,
TI-89, TI-Enspire, Casio FX-9860GII and the FX-CG10. The HP-50G has a
75 Mhz processor and the TI-89 has a 12 Mhz processor. TI is
researching the TI-Enspire series for me. What is the processor speed
of the two Casio calculators???

Their response:
Thank you for contacting Casio America. Unfortunately, we are unable to
provide the processor speed of these calculators, as this is proprietary
information.

We hope that we were able to assist you with your question, and again
thank you for contacting Casio America.

Sal Manfredonia

CASIO AMERICA, INC.
570 Mt. Pleasant Avenue Dover, NJ 07801
973-361-5400 ext: 4339 Fax: 973-537-8972

#2 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1891 posts
  • Interests:Aviation, Skiing, Programming, Mountain Biking.

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 18 April 2012 - 09:13 PM

Hi tholmq, welcome to UCF!

You should introduce yourself here: http://www.casiocalc...?showtopic=5677 ;)

I know the default operating speed of the prizm, it is 54Mhz. There is an overclocking utility that lets you get up to 97Mhz out of it though. If you want to know the screen refresh rate, it is between 20-30 fps.

Hope that helps! :)

#3 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 18 April 2012 - 11:02 PM

Hi tholmq, welcome to UCF!

You should introduce yourself here: http://www.casiocalc...?showtopic=5677 ;)

I know the default operating speed of the prizm, it is 54Mhz. There is an overclocking utility that lets you get up to 97Mhz out of it though. If you want to know the screen refresh rate, it is between 20-30 fps.

Hope that helps! :)

quote; email; watch the faces

#4 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 19 April 2012 - 01:52 PM

quote; email; watch the faces

What was that supposed to mean? :blink:

#5 Forty-Two

Forty-Two

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 528 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio fx-CG10 Prizm
    Casio fx-9860GII
    TI-84+ SE

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:29 PM

What was that supposed to mean? :blink:

*watch the expressions on their faces

#6 tholmq

tholmq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Interests:Car Rallying<br />Greatrace<br />Calculators<br />Blackjack<br />Picture Framing<br />Horse Race Betting<br />Learning to program

Posted 19 April 2012 - 11:50 PM

Of the calculators that I mentioned in my original post which is best one to get.

Can you help me decide. TI has not responded to me yet. I don't want to get the HP-50G (75 Mhz) because of the RPL programming language.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I need to get this within the next week.

Thank you for your time,

Ty

#7 MicroPro

MicroPro

Casio Overlord

• Deputy
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 640 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio ClassPad 300

Posted 20 April 2012 - 11:01 AM

Hi! Since you didn't mention what you exactly want to do with the calc, it's difficult to answer.

The most important thing to know is CAS ability: nSpire (non-CAS models), fx-9860 and fx-cg don't have built-in CAS and can't do symbolic calculation (unless you use CAS add-ins written by the community with limited functionality). TI-89, nSpire CAS, hp-50g and ClassPad have CAS and are capable of handling symbolic operations (differentiation, integration, (not on nSpire > )Laplace and Fourier).

Then what kind of thing you're gonna do that speed is so important to you? For the processor speeds, read community forums; I think TI will send you a reply very similar to the CASIO one. You can overclock some of the models. For some speed benchmarks, see this site by Xerxes (doesn't list fx-cg :( ). All new calculators come with highspeed modern SH3/4 (CASIO) or ARM (hp, nSpire) processors.

Finally, if you want to enjoy games (rather than calculating :) ) go for one of the color models. Anyway, I never 100% recommend a certain model to anyone. Search this and other forums a bit too. ;)

#8 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 20 April 2012 - 12:52 PM

The fx CG PRIZM has a processor speed slightly slower than the fx9860, but with overclocking, thats no problem.

#9 tholmq

tholmq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 April 2012 - 10:21 PM

Hello MicrPro,

I will be using it for Data Acquition in a vehicle. I also will be writing a program that once executed will run for 1-2 days.

I am kind of leaning towards the TI-Enspire w/CAS because they say that it has 100 MB of main memory vs. 62K on the two Casios.

As far as I can tell, there is not much difference in programming the TI or the Casio???

Thank you,

Ty

#10 JosJuice

JosJuice

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm fx-CG10
    TI-84 Plus Silver Edition

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:04 AM

I am kind of leaning towards the TI-Enspire w/CAS because they say that it has 100 MB of main memory vs. 62K on the two Casios.

The storage memory of Casio calculators is similar to the memory of Nspires, so the CXes have roughly 100 MB and the fx-CG10/20 have 16 MB. The older Casio calcs don't have as much memory, but this is also true for the TI calcs.

As far as I can tell, there is not much difference in programming the TI or the Casio???

They are completely different. The Nspire's built-in programming language is unlike all past calc languages - it's very limited and slow. Even things like detecting what key is pressed and drawing to the screen is pretty difficult from what I've heard. Since a while ago, the Nspire also supports Lua, which is much faster and capable. The Nspires do not support native code. The built-in programming language of the Casio calcs is not as slow, but it's still not fast. However, the Casio calcs do support native code, which can be very useful for some tasks. I think there's also a method to run Lua on the fx-9860, but it's unofficial.

Does the program you want to write require input from other devices to the calculator?

#11 tholmq

tholmq

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:16 AM

Hello JosJuice,

You say "so the CXes have roughly 100 MB and the fx-CG10/20 have 16 MB". All of the documentation that I have found on the web says that the FX-CG10 has 61 KB of memory. I don't understand your response??

You say "However, the Casio calcs do support native code, which can be very useful for some tasks." I am sorry; I am a newbie. What do you mean by "native code"? Is it faster, but more complicated (like Assembly language)?

Thank you for your time,

Ty

#12 JosJuice

JosJuice

Casio Addict

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 75 posts

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm fx-CG10
    TI-84 Plus Silver Edition

Posted 21 April 2012 - 09:24 AM

You say "so the CXes have roughly 100 MB and the fx-CG10/20 have 16 MB". All of the documentation that I have found on the web says that the FX-CG10 has 61 KB of memory. I don't understand your response??

The fx-CG10 has two types of memory - main memory and storage memory. The former is 61 KB while the latter is 16 MB. There are some things that must be stored in main memory, most notably Casio-BASIC code (while executing). The Nspires stores everything in the same place.

You say "However, the Casio calcs do support native code, which can be very useful for some tasks." I am sorry; I am a newbie. What do you mean by "native code"? Is it faster, but more complicated (like Assembly language)?

Yes. Native code is generally things like assembly and C, which are more difficult to program in, but faster and more powerful.

#13 Ashbad

Ashbad

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Programming, Hacking, Pixel Art, Music Composition, Ponies, Roleplaying

• Calculators:
    Casio Prizm fxCG-10

Posted 22 April 2012 - 04:35 PM

The fx CG PRIZM has a processor speed slightly slower than the fx9860, but with overclocking, thats no problem.

It's actually set to be 4x faster by default. The 9860 runs at something like 13.5MHz, the Prizm runs at 58MHz. Also, overclocking can only be safely done to 94.3 MHz at the moment.

#14 Xerxes

Xerxes

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 02:10 PM

A few years ago I had the same problem with CASIO. I noticed that different sources gave different values for the CPU speed
of the FX-9860G. I asked CASIO for the real speed and got an evasive answer too.

An opened FX-9860G shows a ~14.75 MHz resonator. PLL2 is fixed to x2 and the default values of PLL1 and divider1 are x1.
So the default internal clock frequency should be ~29.5 MHz. Additionally I made a loop speed test in assembly language
to prove the correctness:

MOV.L #1000000000,R0
L00: NOP
	 DT	 R0
	 BF	 L00
	 RTS
	 NOP
My FX-9860G SD needs ~170 seconds for the 5e9 cycles at default speed and ~42 seconds at maximum speed (PLL1 x4).

#15 flyingfisch

flyingfisch

Casio Maniac

• Deputy
  • 1891 posts

• Calculators:
    fx-9860GII
    fx-CG10 PRIZM

Posted 23 April 2012 - 04:46 PM

It's actually set to be 4x faster by default. The 9860 runs at something like 13.5MHz, the Prizm runs at 58MHz. Also, overclocking can only be safely done to 94.3 MHz at the moment.

Ah, ok. It must be that it just seems slower (screen refresh rates, etc.). I know that casio-BASIC with the 9860 is faster than with the prizm, but this may have to do with the prizm having a color screen and therefore taking longer to refresh.

#16 Xerxes

Xerxes

Casio Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 130 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 06:43 PM

The speed of Casio Basic programs with OS1 is significantly faster than OS2. For more clarity a simple speed test in Basic from another forum:

10000->N
Lbl 0
DSZ N
GOTO 0

FX-9860G	 5 sec

FX-9750GII  11 sec

FX-CG10	 11 sec
According to the omnimaga forum the prizm runs at 29.5 MHz normally and at 59 MHz for apps.

Edited by Xerxes, 25 April 2012 - 02:34 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users